Study in Norway German studentsAuf deutsch

Mind. Body.

Visa, Residence & Work Permit

All students who plan to stay in Norway for more than three months will need a student residence permit. Visas are only issued for stays up to 90 days (e.g. for certain Summer School programmes). German citizens can vacation in Norway for up to 90 days without a visa. The only requirement to enter into Norway is a valid identity card or a passport.

For German applicants
German students who plan to stay in Norway for more than three months will need a student residence permit. There are no processing fee for applicants from EU/EEA/EFTA countries.

You may submit your application to a Norwegian Foreign Mission or in Norway to the police station in the city where the institution is located. The application must be submitted in person. Applications sent by regular mail or email will not be processed. In some cases the applicant may expect to be called in for an interview.

Please visit to find the address of the Norwegian embassy in Berlin or the nearest consulate general.

When you apply for a student residence permit you must submit the following documents:

  • An application form for student residence with a passport photograph.
    [download form here]
  • Documentation of acceptance to an approved learning institution.
    An EU/EEA/EFTA citizen is eligible to apply for admittance to any institution that is available for Norwegian nationals.
  • A statement showing proof of sufficient funds for subsistence.
  • Valid health insurance.
    This may include private insurance, E-form or a European Health Insurance Card from the student's home country.

For regulations concerning familiy reunification for a student's immediate family, please see the website of the UDI.

Please visit to find the Embassy or Consulate near you as well as information on how to apply for visa and student residence permit.

We urge you to carefully read the regulations as to avoid problems during the application process. Applications that are incomplete will not be processed.

Updates are available on:

More information about visas and residence permits

Working permit for students
A student residence permit does not confer the right to take employment in Norway. However, students may apply for part-time work permit and/or a permit to work during vacations when employment would not interfer with their study progress. Full-time employment for a restricted period of time may also be applied for.

For German students
A student may work part-time for up to 20 hours per week when a work permit is granted. An application for a work permit should be accompanied by a statement from the institution confirming that the work will not affect the study progress. A letter from the employer stating that the student has a job offer must also be submitted.

Students are normally allowed to work full time during semester breaks.

Please note that the majority of institutions do not have on-campus work study schemes, and foreign students will have to compete on the regular job market.

Applications for a work permit may be submitted to the local police station.

Please see the website of the Norwegian police to locate the nearest police station.

Last modified: 11/10/2008 8:18 am


Profiles and interviews
Bookmark and Share